Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Designing Groupwork

Chapter 1: Groupwork as a Strategy for Classrooms
The first chapter gives an introduction to the nature and effectiveness of group work and to why the author compiled her work into this book. She discusses her application of theories to elementary and middle level students and how the basic tenants of her studies have held true for both levels. She is still in the process of studying at the time of publication, but has achieved success. 
From my own experiences, group work is the quickest and easiest way to get students talking. That is not to say that they are talking about what you designed their conversation to mirror. That being the case, it is important to provide relevant and engaging tasks for group work to be successful. 
I'm curious about which of Cohen's basic tenants of group work hold strong across the spectrum of age and ability. What are the fundamentals in other words that we should all know and implement to create successful group dynamics. 
Chapter 2: Why Groupwork?
The second chapter proposes the question "why group work?" It continues on to answer that question with the achievement of accomplishing intellectual goals, social goals, and solutions to common classroom problems. Intellectual goals refer to the conceptual application of the learning. This is hands on an experimental in a way. The social goals refer to the bonds that are created through interaction and experience with others. This is how students prepare to interact in the adult world. Finally the trouble shooting section discusses ways like giving more time to create better opportunities for students to learn through their interactions. 
I really agree with the section about giving more time to students to interact and work together toward their learning goals. I've found in my own experiences with students who have been modeled for that they are much more successful in their group work. They will be on task if they know what they are supposed to do.
I'm curious about developing my own group work projects that can span months of instruction and involve all students in the work. I am very interested in project based learning. I think students should be guided rather than lectured to. I think that workshops are much more effective than lectures.
Chapter 3: The Dilemma of Groupwork
In this chapter Cohen discusses the problem of some students doing more work than other students. She discusses how it is impossible to ensure that all members have the same status in a group because that just isn't how things work, dominance and inequality are part of the human experience. The perception that people have of one another will always be the dominating factor in the interaction between the group members. The danger here lies in the low status students, for they will not receive equitable access to the learning that is occurring.
I think for a large part of elementary school I considered myself a low status student. I was quiet and didn't talk because I was afraid of the ridicule that accompanied my answers. It took a long time and the developing of a lot of trust in relationships before I was willing to participate in class discussion, and I'm still hesitant to raise my hand at times. I get nervous, my heart rate increases, and I feel generally uncomfortable. But only with my peers.
I am excited to help disrupt situations that create dominance and hierarchy. I therefore am excited to continue reading more about how to ensure equitable outcomes and create group work that involves all members in a fair and transparent way.     

No comments:

Post a Comment